6-6-2012 SWFloridaGuy: During the last couple weeks we've witnessed a lot of stall tactics (threats, letters, signatures, meetings, demands ultimatums etc). The latest is Talabani forming a committee to deal with the authenticity of the signatures. This is not an obligatory measure and that tells me there are still some kinks to be worked out. This is Talabani's decision, whether they have the signatures or not is meaningless, other than to forecast how a potential vote may go.
Currently we are unsure if a petition has yet to reach Speaker Nujayfi. There are too many conflicting reports from innominate authors for us to be sure of anything at this point, other than it certainly cannot remain unresolved much longer. Maliki's opposition will not condone further procrastination.
Read More Link on Right
There are a large number of Kurds, Iraqiyya and Sadrists who don't appear willing to budge on their demands. We know Talabani has had the power all along to do this, which tells us either he is still exploring his options, they still haven't decided on a suitable replacement for Maliki, politicians are using this leverage to their benefit (bribes, power plays etc), or they are just withholding sensitive information from the media until there is a formal announcement, which is exactly how it should be.
There is really only one more possibility, one that has always been the best solution for us and addresses the primary issue we consider relevant to the RV. If by some fortuitous miracle, while during intense last minute negotiations, Maliki finally caves.
This would simply require implementing what was formerly agreed upon, it does not entail giving carte blanche to his opposition. Power sharing would strengthen his opposition but Maliki would save his political career and we would see public announcements of Erbil implementation, permanent Ministers and the Strategic Council. Then we could focus on Shabibi, his Central Bank and their currency reform project.
As usual, we have no control so we hope for the best.