1. To select text using just your keyboard, start at the beginning of the text and use the Shift key and the right arrow to select. Use the control C keys to copy the selected text and Control V to paste.
10 easy keyboard shortcuts:
For more shortcuts click this link:
2. To quickly back up a document you are working on, email it to yourself! Your email service provider will keep it safe if you leave it in your in-box or save it to a folder. Use a thumb drive or burn a CD to back up larger files, especially picture files.
Data Loss Prevention To Do List:
Tips for Easier Backups:
From Thumb Drives to 1.5 Terabytes of Backup-CrexTechs has it:
Read More Link on Right
3. Don't let your computer hibernate or go into standby mode. Hibernation slows your machine down over time and both get in the way of your anti-virus scans.
How to turn off Hibernation and Standby:
4. Shut down and reboot your computer at least once a week. Your RAM memory will get bogged down with temporary files if you leave your machine on for days at a time. The only way to clear this memory is to shut down and reboot. Read more about it:
5. Old monitors needed screen savers to keep ghost images from burning into the screen but new LCD monitors do not have this problem. Screen savers are not power savers. Shut off you monitor to save power, there is no evidence that shutting off your monitor shortens the life.
6. Surge protectors cannot save your computer from lightning strikes but do protect from norm fluctuations in power that can create excessive heat. Heat shortens the life of your computer and components over time. Read more about it:
Available at CrexTechs:
For battery backup with surge protection:
7. Your photo files are the most valuable data on your computer. If they are not backed up, you can lose everything if your hard drive crashes.Back up your photos on more than one media. Burn CDs, save to thumb drives and post them on Facebook or Flicker. The more copies you have out there, the less chance you will lose these important images. From Thumb Drives up to 1.5 Terabytes of Backup-CrexTechs has it:
8. Improve your internet security by deleting your internet history and temp files and clearing your browser data. Cookies and temp files store information that can help hackers gain access to your machine. Regular cleaning can reduce your chances of being hacked. For Browser security:
How to Clear Browser Cookies:
9. Run your Vipre Anti-virus program or other Anti-virus program weekly or daily depending on your risk of infection. For added protection Run Malware bytes weekly or daily as well. If you don't know your risk of infection, take our “Evaluate your Infection Risk Quiz”:
10. Watch out for bogus emails that look like they are from your bank or credit card company. Bad grammar and misspelled words can alert you to bogus emails. Never follow links to login screens from an email. And never panic when these emails tell you your account is about to be closed.
Recognizing email scams:
11. Find text easily in a document or on a web page by using the key stroke short cut Control F. A Find window will open type in the word or phrase you are looking for and hit enter. Hit enter until you find all instances of your work or phrase to find the one you want. For more
information on keystroke shortcuts:
12. The internet browser you use can help keep you safer from viruses and other malware. Try Chrome by Google or Firefox by Mozilla. Some sites don't work well with one or the other of these and some games will work only with Internet Explorer but you maybe be more vulnerable to infection on Internet Explorer.
13. Performing weekly or monthly maintenance on your computer will help it run faster. Clean up temp files, run disk clean up and defragment your hard drive. CrexTechs has a utility that will place these tools on your desktop for easy access.
14. Use keystrokes Control P to print the document you are in or the Internet page you are on. Use Control S to save the document you are working on. Use Control Backspace to delete a whole word. Use Control Z to undo what you have just done.
15. Type search terms into the address field of most browsers and press enter to do a search. You do not need to type in the http:// or www. When inputting addresses in to the browser. Input CrexTechs.com and press enter, you will get our website.
Top 10 Internet tips and tricks:
Google Search Tips:
16. Use the Windows Start key on your keyboard along with the D key to go to the desktop no matter how many programs you have to open. You can also use the desktop icon on your tool bar. Use the Control Tab keys to toggle between the various browser tabs or programs you have open.
For more shortcuts click this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449
17. To get more out of your mouse than just moving your cursor, double click a word to select it then click the right mouse button for options. Click the right mouse button on a blank space on a document or webpage or on your desktop or tool bar and see what options are offered. More Mouse Tips:
18. You can Google search just about anything including addresses and telephone numbers. Type in “weather and your zip code”; type in “movies and your zip code”; type in your “airline and flight number”; type in a list of numbers with the plus or minus sign between them. Amazing!
Some simple Google Search Tips: http://www.computerhope.com/tips/tip7.htm
Google Search Tips: http://www.google.com/landing/searchtips/
19. To get pictures on a specific subject such as Japanese Gardens or George Clooney. Use the word image in your Google search or click on the image tab on Google search tool bar. You'll get lots of pictures!
20. To prevent loss of your computer files, bring in your machine for service when it starts acting up. Could be just the cooling fan or it could be hard drive failure. Hard drive failure will trash your files so don't procrastinate. http://crextechs.com/
21. To protect your privacy on Facebook , be sure to set your privacy setting to Friends only. Don't give information on the names and ages of your parents and siblings, or the schools you've gone to if you use any of these as security questions on financial websites. http://www.facebook.com/help/privacy
22. To find out what operating system you are running as well as other information on your system, go to your start menu, right click on My Computer then click on properties then the General tab.
23. To choose a photo from your personal photos to use as your desktop background, right click on your desktop, select properties, go to the screen tab then browse your photos.
24. You can have most of the functionality of Microsoft Office Suite for no cost by using Open Office freeware. Go to OpenOffice.org for more information and to download this freeware.
25. To protect your privacy and the privacy of your friends, be sure you know all the people you invite to be your friends. When you accept indiscriminately you are putting yourself at risk of having private information used by hackers and scammers.