Welcome to dinarupdates.com for news update from Millionday!
millionday] HOW TO BECOME A MEMBER OF THE WTO IN 8 EASY STEPS 1. Get observer status at the WTO
2. Request for accession: The accession process commences with the submission of a formal written request for accession by the applicant government. This request is considered by the General Council which establishes a Working Party to examine the accession request and, ultimately, to submit the findings of the Working Party to the General Council for approval. The Working Party is open to all Members of the WTO.
3. Submission of a memorandum on the Foreign Trade Regime: The applicant government presents a memorandum covering all aspects of its trade and legal regime to the Working Party. This memorandum forms the basis for detailed fact finding by the Working Party.
4. Meeting conditions of entry: Terms and conditions include commitments to observe WTO rules and disciplines upon accession and transitional periods required to make any legislative or structural changes where necessary to implement these commitments.
[millionday] NOW WE KNOW THAT THEY HAVE MADE ALL TRADE LAWS COMPLIANT WITH THE RULES OF THE WTO
[millionday] 5. Bilateral negotiations: The applicant government engages in bilateral negotiations with interested Working Party members on concessions and commitments on market access for goods and services. The results of these bilateral negotiations are consolidated into a document which is part of the final “accession package”.
6. Accession package: The working party then finalizes the terms of accession. These appear in a report, a draft membership treaty (“protocol of accession”) and lists (“schedules”) of the member-to-be’s commitments.
[millionday] THAT IS THE ACCESSION PACKAGE
[millionday] SEE IT NUMBER 5?
[millionday] LOOK AT NUMBER 6
[millionday] NOW LET ME SHOW YOU SOMETHING ELSE
[millionday] 7. Approval of the accession package: The final package, consisting of the report, protocol and lists of commitments, is presented to the WTO General Council or the Ministerial Conference.
If a two-thirds majority of WTO members vote in favour, the applicant is free to sign the protocol and to accede to the organization. In many cases, the country’s own parliament or legislature has to ratify the agreement before membership is complete.
8. Full membership: Thirty days after the applicant government notifies the WTO Secretariat that it has completed its ratification procedures, the applicant government becomes a full Member of the WTO
[DinarGroupie] Millionday so even though it appears on the WTO website it doesn't mean it's finished?
[feebslayer] what number are we at?
[millionday] 30 DAYS AFTER THEY HAVE RECEIVED THE APPLICANT GOV NOTIFIES
[millionday] THEY WILL NEED A REALITY RATE AND IF THEY HAVE COMPLETED ALL THEY WILL BE A MEMBER AFTER THE 30 DAY WAIT PERIOD BUT
[millionday] I HAVE READ THAT SOME COUNTRIES ARE TRYING TO AVOID THE WAIT PERIOD
[DinarGroupie] So what does it mean when the WTO website says they are full members now?
[timandjulie] millionday when looking at prior date ones they also say the same thing as the 29th one it seems, i found no difference
[millionday] I AM STILL LOOKING AT EVERYTHING -- JUST BRINGING IT AS I FIND IT
[millionday] THIS IS OF COURSE THE MOST EXCITING DUE TO THE PROVISION
[millionday] Access level Members Symbol WT/ACC/IRQ/2/Rev.8 Status Complete Date 29/07/2014 Derestricted on
[millionday] SEE THEY HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THIS FOR YEARS
[millionday] THEY RECEIVED THE OBSERVER STATUS AND THEN THEY HAVE BEEN GIVING THE WTO WHAT THEY HAVE ASKED FOR AND THE LAST THING THEY NEEDED WAS THE LICENSING
[millionday] THEY DID NOT RECEIVE WHAT THEY NEEDED WHEN THEY MET AND IT DIDNT GO THROUGH AT THAT TIME
DinarGroupie] Millionday so they are not full members yet?
[millionday] THEY SEEM TO HAVE SENT THE ASKED FOR DOCUMENTS AND THEY MAY BE ON THE 30 DAY WAIT OR LESS BUT I AM STILL LOOKING
millionday] NOW LET ME SAY THIS
[millionday] WE WERE FOLLOWING ALL THE DATES IN THE PAST TWO YEARS OF THE ENTRY OF THE WTO AND THEY HAD MANY WORKSHOPS
millionday] THEY WENT TO THEM ALL AND ALSO HAD PAPERWORK AND BANKING COMPLIANCE THEY HAD TO DO AS WELL --
millionday] THEY HAVE WORKED HARD AND HAVE STATED ON MULTIPLE OCCASIONS THAT THEY WERE WORKING TOWARD ACTIVE MEMBERSHIP
[millionday] NOW LET ME SAY
[millionday] THE LAST THING WE HAVE SEEN IS THE MOVE TO A FREE MARKET ECONOMY IS WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND THAT IS THE MOVE TO ACTUVE MEMBERSHIP TO THE WTO ---
[millionday] IT WAS JUST A COUPLE DAYS AGO
[millionday] NOW ON THE WTO SITE IRAQ IS LISTED AS WORKING TOWARD ACCESSION
[millionday] THEY ARE PART OF THE COUNTRY LIST
[millionday] I READ THAT THEY ARE HOPING TO NOT WAIT THE ENTIRE 30 DAYS BECAUSE OF THE PRODUCT ANALYSIS THAT GOES ON WHEN PRODUCTS ARE FOR WTO CONTRACTS
[millionday] AMONG OTHER REASONS
millionday] NOW IN THE SITE WITH WHAT WE HAVE IS Access level Members Symbol WT/ACC/IRQ/2/Rev.8 Status Complete Date 29/07/2014 Derestricted on
[millionday] I AM WORKING ON FINDING OUT IF THEY ARE COMPLETELY DONE WITH ALL REQUIREMENTS OR NOT -- IT SAYS COMPLETE AND I HAVE TO SAY IT LOOKS EXCITING –
SO LET ME DO SOME RESEARCH AND MAKE A COUPLE CALLS
[millionday] FREE TRADE IS A GIFT… In all this time, however, the US has continuously projected the benevolent occupier image as it generously helps Iraqis get on the road of free trade and democracy.
Al-Mukhtar declares Iraq’s accession into the WTO as its first step towards integration into the global economy. “After decades of isolation, Iraq is beginning to rejoin the international community and your decision today sends a positive signal to the people of Iraq that they are welcomed back and that the world really cares about their welfare.”
(13) Free trade supporters have even hailed this as a blessing to countries like Iraq.
As Daniel Griswold of the libertarian think tank Cato Institute based in Washington DC states, “What do Libya, Sudan, Syria, Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan have in common? Besides all of them being ongoing or recent sponsors of terrorism, not one of them belongs to the WTO.”(14)
[millionday] The US then went ahead and outlined a plan similar to that of Iraq for the rest of the region. “The Middle East Free Trade Area (MEFTA) was billed as part of a plan to fight terrorism – in this case, by supporting the growth of Middle East prosperity and democracy through trade.” (14) an analyst with the Congressional Research Service wrote.
And the first step to becoming a part of MEFTA is joining the WTO. …WITH STRINGS ATTACHED What is the reason for the push to make Iraq, and later on, other countries in the Middle East, members of the WTO?